Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Radical - Reading That Challenges

It has been a long time since I last posted, you know life gets busy and I have always said that I can't allow my blog to something that wags my life. But now I have a few minutes extra and want to write on a book I am reading, titled, Radical, by David Platt.

I must admit that overall the majority of what he writes are things that I have considered before. However, there are definitely some things that he remarks on that are poignant for the church of America today. One such statement is found at the end of chapter three.

He writes, "Think about it. Would you say that your life is marked right now by desperation for the Spirit of God? Would you say that the church you are par of is characterized by a sense of desperation? Why would we ever want to settle for Christianity according to our ability or settle for church according to our resources?"

This resonated with me when I read it. I have been in ministry for 20 years in some manner, most being full-time vocational ministry; and I must confess that too many times we (both believers individually and churches corporately) are not marked by desperation for the Spirit of God. Instead we are marked by despondency, debasement, distortion, deception, and denial.

Platt writes, "Our great need is to fall before an almighty Father day and night and to plead for him to show his radical power in and through us, enabling us to accomplish for his glory what we could never imagine in our own strength."

In John 15:5, the Apostle John recorded Jesus saying, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." You are probably familiar with that, but sometimes our familiarity leads us to passivity. Instead this familiarity ought to lead us to radical faith in the one who abides and empowers us.

I encourage you to join me in praying. Pray that those who claim Jesus as Savior and Lord will live abandoned to God's purposes; and in that abandon, they will be open to permanent change because of the obedience of faith (Romans 16:26).

2 comments:

Dana said...

Thank you, Matt .. I've listened to over 120 hours of David Platt messages since May, beginning when he first came to Brook Hills in 2006. His teaching is like yours - Biblically grounded and cuts through to my spirit as only the pure Word of God can do. I so appreciate your commitment to that kind of teaching!

stjohn'swart said...

This book has changed my life in so many ways. Made things that I took for granted not well taken from granted anymore. To live less than a radical life for Christ, is to dishonor all He has given in His love for us.